Thursday, January 24, 2013

In His Hands

Since my term position has ended, I've driven Bram most mornings to a lay-by (a pull-over spot for trucks) just west of Regina, across from the weigh scales.  We have a real routine; we leave the house at 7:10, arrive there about 7:24, and wait until around 7:30, when his car pool arrives.  While we're waiting, I usually read aloud to him from whatever is our latest read aloud book.  Currently we're enjoying Alexander McCall Smith's The Double Comfort Safari Club.  Then Bram transfers to the van for the car pool to Moose Jaw and I leave the lay-by to drive about 100 metres further on to get to where I can cross the meridian and drive back to Regina.  I usually arrive back home about 7:50.

Then at about 5 pm I need to drive back out there to pick Bram up.  He usually arrives some time between 5:10 and 5:20, and we drive back home together.

It sounds very routine - nothing much to it.  However, I have to say that it's the worst part of my day, everyday.  To start with, this is an extremely busy stretch of highway.  Lots and lots of traffic; many, many people commute down that road - and most of the commuters travel that stretch between 7 and 8 in the morning and between 5 and 6 in the evening.  In addition, because it's midwinter, it's always very dark out, and all that can be seen is the lights of traffic coming and going.  The sun currently rises between 8:30 and 9 and sets between 5:30 and 6.  In order to get to the meridian to cross to the east bound portion of the number 1 highway, I have to cross three lanes of traffic - all of it attempting to speed up to 110 kmh, while I'm trying to see the little sign showing do not enter and slow down to nearly a stop so that I can enter it.  Then on the other side of the road, there is no merging lane, so I wait until there is no traffic coming to cross two lanes of traffic and drive back to Regina.  I've missed the spot in the dark twice and have had to be pulled out (that really added to my pleasure in the morning).

This morning was worse than usual.  They warned before I left the house that there was blowing snow, but the driver for Bram's car pool had texted him saying that they were going as usual.  Two minutes after Bram transferred to their vehicle and had left for Moose Jaw, the radio announced that it was travel not recommended in all the areas around Regina, and they specifically mentioned Highway No. 1 between Regina and Moose Jaw.  It was a little late by then, but I still had to make it back to Regina.  Visibility was nearly nil and I didn't drive above 50 kmh the whole way back.  I was very thankful to have Bram text me to tell me that he had arrived in Moose Jaw, and I texted him back that unless the weather improves, he needs to plan to spend the night there.  (Thanks to the Buchanans, who are his storm-stay location.)

I have gotten so that I really dread this drive every morning and evening.  I have tried to find some other location that I could drop Bram off or pick him up - but he doesn't live anywhere near any of the car poolers and it's dependent upon their convenience.  Sometimes I can pick him up elsewhere, but it really depends on what vehicle some of the others drive to the drop off location.  If they drive a smaller vehicle (and they take turns, so it really varies), then there's no room for him.  There is no other option that I've found for the drop off.  The other option is for him to take the STC SIAST bus instead - however that costs $50 a month more, and I'm currently unemployed, so that's $50 out of an extremely limited budget.

Today I came to the realization that I'm as much in His hands as when I was commuting to Moose Jaw everyday all fall (which wasn't nearly as scary).  I need to turn this burden over to Him and let Him carry the load for me.  I think that's the best I can do at this time.

No comments: