Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sunday Evening

I haven't been feeling well all week. Nothing major - just blah - I'm having a lot of trouble just staying on top of the classes I'm teaching, doing the TL thing; being a parent, etc. I finally went online with my class tonight - I'm over a week behind. Oh well, I'm doing what I can when I can. I hate being behind but at least I'm trying. It's not even 8 pm and I'm wanting to go to bed.

My parents were here Saturday. My dad, bless him, changed my locks for me so that the deadbolts now all have turnbuckles on the inside. It was a fairly major job because the old locks had a smaller hole and he had to redrill the hole for the new locks. In addition, he hung my towel racks in the bathroom (so we all have our own towel rack now), fixed the three way switch in the hallway so it works (he said it was miswired when they built the house in 56), told me what I need to do to get my toilet fixed and what screws to buy to mount my microwave. He also hung the hook rack I purchased at the front door so that we can hang up our coats when we enter. I am so very grateful to him. Mom helped me finish canning - I made apple butter and cranberry jelly (from the high bush cranberries I picked at Kenosee). I love it when my parents visit. They left after service this morning. They're on their way to Calgary now to visit with my cousin Jim who's walking the west coast trail (he's done the Appalatian trail twice).

Still on my to do list at home:
Minor stuff:
- get my microwave mounted (it's a above the stove microwave but is sitting on a counter right now) - I'll need help for this; any takers?
- get my toilet fixed - I can likely do this on my own
- hang my knife rack in the kitchen (a 10 minute job for someone else - an impossibility for me)
- finish putting the captain's bed together in my spare room (Rose and I worked on this for about 2 hours and we almost got the three drawers put together; we've got a ways to go to finish).

More Major stuff: - all of this will need someone else to do it for me
- the beam that runs under my furnace apparently isn't supported, and needs supports on both sides. When they installed the furnace (in the past few years), they cut the beam and never supported it. This is a fairly important must do.
- build a front hall closet (I've got the space for it, and I can't believe an architect built this house and never put a coat closet in it!) I want to have a bookcase on the back of the closet for my piano books. Not an essential, but would be very nice to have.
- Put a shower in my half bath - which means remodelling both bathrooms - stealing some room from the main bathroom for the shower, and putting a new vanity in there, moving both toilets and sinks. (This will wait for at least a year until I can afford it.)
- Put a half bath in the strange closet near the back door, and move the washer and drayer there out of the kitchen. (This will also wait for at least a year until I can afford it.)

If I'm making a wish list, I'd also like to remodel the kitchen, but that can wait until I win the Canadian Living annual contest to remodel your kitchen as that's the only way I can see it happening. Currently all the appliances are original from 1956.

No comments: