Monday, March 18, 2013

Fish cakes

Every time I made fish cakes (also known as fish burgers), I find that regardless of what I put in them, they tend to fall apart when I fry them.  So this time, we baked them.  Much, much better!  They stayed together perfectly!  We don't even have them on the menu for this week, so we froze them all.

When I'm making this recipe as a gluten-free recipe I substitute puffed rice for bread crumbs.  I whir them in the food processor or blender until they're like crumbs.  This is a standard substitution for me.  (I cooked gluten-free for about five years for Bram when he was younger, but was so thankful when he was again able to eat a full diet.)

I always make fish cakes with canned salmon if I'm using canned fish (it's got far more calcium than tuna, which I don't use at all), but I have also made it with cooked leftover fish (which is a rarity in our household because everyone really likes fish and it's hard to have leftovers).

2 cans (213 g) salmon, with juice and bones, mashed up or about 2 cups leftover cooked fish
2 eggs
2.5 cups bread crumbs or puffed rice (see note above)
1 small onion, chopped fine
1/2 tsp mustard
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 TLB lemon juice

Mix everything together.  Measure out with a half cup measure to make burgers.  I find it's good to press them into a margarine lid; it makes a good "quarter pounder" size burger.  Place on baking sheet and bake at 350 for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.  (I always use baking parchment, then I don't have to grease the pan and the pans stay so much cleaner.)

This makes about 10 burgers.

No comments: