Thursday, November 20, 2008

Is it finally winter?

It's -19C out this morning. There's snow on the ground. Maybe it's finally winter. I know this has been an unseasonably mild fall; but I can't get over how warm it has been. I've been trying not to fit the phrase "in Yellowknife...." into every conversation, but I still think it. And they've had snow in Yellowknife since early October and it'll be there until the end of April.

So, now that the temperature is more seasonable, does it affect what I wear? Not really. I'm wearing a sweater instead of a blouse, but I'm still wearing a skirt instead of pants. (I like wearing skirts and it's only half a block to get to work). I'll be wearing the same coat (my fall jacket in YK) because it's good to -20 or so, and my next warmer coat is a fur one; I think it's a bit of an overkill to switch to it. I'll still be wearing shoes because I don't have any boots (although I get paid next week, so I might try to find some).

3 comments:

Tim said...

I know the feeling May - people down here get tired of me saying "it's colder in YK", people up there don't want to know that it's warmer down here (and I sure didn't when I lived up there) - but I know how you feel May, I've enjoyed the mild fall, I always struggled through sept/oct in YK.

Lynn said...

I know what you mean...except I DO wear my parka when it gets cold...I've turned wimpy since moving down here...

Ian said...

Hey, it was plus 7 today, but the wind did make it feel like winter. But most of the snow did disappear. I don't mind if winter stays away until January!