Monday, October 29, 2012

The joy of allergies

Allergies are a lot more common now than they were when I was a child.  And... they run in the family.  I am very thankful that I'm not allergic to very much - although I do carry an epipen, I've never had to use it.  (It's part of my life goals to never have to use it either.)  Most of my allergies are food allergies.  Unfortunately, I seem to have shared the tendency to allergies with my children.  They both share my sensitivity to oats, and although they may not need an epipen for it, they can definitely tell when they've eaten something containing oats.

Most of Rose's allergies seem to be environmental allergies.  They're way harder to control than food allergies.  Bram also has allergies; likely environmental ones as well.  Both of them are very, very sensitive to scents.  Rose is also sensitive to many chemicals.

This past month Bram's been fighting a sore throat and persistent cough.  I think it's got to be allergies, as a cold would have cleared up long ago.  He seems to be better if he sleeps in the living room instead of his bedroom.  I'd like to know what's causing it, so that I could eliminate it.  I think we're going to rip out the carpet in his room and replace it with laminate and see if that makes a difference.  It can't be any worse than it is now and hopefully it may help.   We can also vacuum out the heating vents.  I don't know what else we can try though. Any other suggestions?

No comments: