Sunday, July 21, 2013

Homemade Bread

It was cool and rainy Friday and Saturday, and we had a thunderstorm this morning before I got up.  Perfect bread making weather.  (Earlier in the week was hot and sunny and weather when heating the oven doesn't seem at all practical.)  So I pulled out a recipe I've used before and tweaked it a bit and am fairly pleased with the results.

This is a whole-wheat recipe - no white flour used at all; so it's fairly dense, but makes a nice even crumb.  It can be made in a bread maker but I made it by hand and baked in my Grandmother Lidbury's bread pans, which I inherited.

Whole Wheat Bread (with a little flax and rye)
1 1/3 cups warm water
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 TLB honey
3 TLB oil
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup gluten flour
1/3 to 1/2 cup Red River cereal
2 tsp yeast

Mix everything together; if it's too dry, add a little bit more water. Knead for 10-15 min.  Let rise 1 hour.  Punch down.  Form into one very large loaf (Grandma's loaf pans were big) or two small pans.  Let rise until double.  Bake at 350 F for 40 min or until nicely brown.  Turn out of pan(s) and let cool.


No comments: