Thursday, August 19, 2010

Well, it seemed a good idea at the time

Last fall I went camping three times in a row. Once was at the church retreat at Clearview camp; then as soon as we came back from that I went with the entire school to Dallas Valley. After that the school leadership team (student council members) went to a retreat at Dallas Valley. The high bush cranberries were ripe at Clearview and the chokecherries were ripe at Dallas Valley. So I picked berries.

I made the high bush cranberries into jelly, which stayed in my fridge until I finally threw it out. I made the chokecherries into syrup, which I put in freezer bags in the freezer. Bad idea. Every single bag leaked.

I have just finished cleaning out and defrosting the freezer. The bottom half inch wsas chokecherry syrup. Not nice. Not nice at all. Especially since I'm really too short to reach the bottom of the freezer. I had to balance on my stomach with my feet off the floor and my head halfway down. Not a lot of fun either.

However, the good news is that that nasty chore is done. Next time, I'll can instead of freeze. In my new house I'll have room for canning.

No comments: