Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Count your blessings

When things don't go exactly the way I want them to, it's time to count my blessings and realize that (thankfully), I'm not in control - God is.  I blogged on Nov. 4 how my sink wasn't draining properly.  At that time I put several gallons of boiling water down it and thought we had the problem solved. Not so.

However, I can count my blessings that:

  • I have a dad that can go down into the crawl space and figure out what the actual problem is. (The actual problem is that the main drain is plugged, not just the kitchen sink drain, so until we get a plumber in we can't use any of the drains.  No showers.  No dishes. No flushing.)
  • I have several ice cream pails so that we can put one in each sink so that we can brush our teeth and do other essential things requiring water until we can get the plumber in tomorrow.

  • My parents are here and can call the plumber and be home for when he comes so that I don't have to take a day off work to deal with this.
  • I can afford to have the plumber come in and deal with this.
  • I don't have to try to deal with it myself.
  • I can very likely have it dealt with tomorrow - so that by the time I get home from work, I may have everything good to go again.
  • We didn't discover what the problem was until after the dishes were done, so I have clean dishes for tomorrow.
Now, it's never my idea of a fun time to have the drains plugged.  But I still have lots to be thankful for.  (I'm reminded of a time in Yellowknife when a friend told us the story of how their house had shifted over the winter.  As a result of the shifting, the sewer pipe got disconnected from the toilet and they didn't know until spring when things melted and the odor arose.  It was at least six months worth of sewage under their trailer! I can continue to count my blessings for my much, much smaller problem.)

No comments: