Wednesday, August 27, 2008

New Year

I don't know why we don't celebrate New Year's Day at this time of year instead of in cold and dark January. Today was the first day of school for me (and the other staff); the kids start back on Tuesday. Tuesday was my first day of piano lessons with my new piano teacher. Everything seems to start new again in the fall.



About piano lessons: she's going to work me hard. She gave me a Grade 1 theory exam to try and see where I am in my theory. (She e-mailed me today that I got 90% - which makes me feel good because I essentially did it without studying). She emphasized the importance of sight reading, and reaffirmed that I have to practice it everyday (sigh, I know. It's just that it's not as much fun as some of the other stuff). Then she gave me a piece to learn for next week! (OK, it's not at grade level, but still!) etc. I'm really going to enjoy this, but I'm also going to have to work really hard.

Ruth and I went to an auction last night. I was thinking that I hadn't been to an auction for over 20 years (as long as I've lived in the north), but Bram reminded me that we regularly go to the Rotary Bike Auction in the spring. However, that's not the same because all they're selling is bikes. This was a real auction, with an incredible assortment of junk that you wonder why on earth people are bidding on, together with real treasures that only you recognize. I got some things from both categories (as did Ruth). I'm not going to itemize because some of them are going to end up being presents. Spent too much money, had a lot of fun, as did Ruth.

No comments: