Monday, January 26, 2009


I've been informed that it's been some time since I've updated. Well, I've been sitting in limbo for the past several weeks. Things are now resolved a little bit, so I can update on them.

Primarily what I've been waiting for is to find out where Rose was going to stay when she came to school. She's finally decided that she'll live in the dorm. Apparently she decided that last week, but I only found out tonight. Now that that's settled, I can let Jordan know that he can live in my spare room (where he's been living for the past month anyway); and that he can start paying board. That will help to cover my expenses a little bit.

I've suggested to Rose that she might want to consider sleeping at the dorm but eating with me; seeing as last year when she lived in the dorm she had a lot of trouble with the cafeteria food and her allergies. Apparently she flies into Regina Wednesday, but she hasn't let me know when.

Now that it's settled where Rose is staying, I can also let Western's Bible Quiz team know that I will be accompanying them on the tournament to Saskatoon this weekend. (I can also let my parents know that I'd like to stay there, if I could).

I'm still not over my laryngitis. However my voice is much improved. I saw the doctor for the third time in three weeks on Friday and she's referred me to a specialist - hopefully I'll get in pretty soon. She's also got me on mega medication: prednisone (2 tablets three times a day - or six times the usual dose), an antihistamine and something else. It seems to be working; I can now go for most of the day before my voice starts giving out and cracking up - and I can even sing a little bit. However the side effects aren't great. I feel really shaky much of the time, I'm exhausted and yet I have insomnia, and I'm nauseous (it reminds me of being pregnant). I'm also having trouble concentrating. However, I'm only on this for ten days; so hopefully it'll clear up the laryngitis and I'll be able to get back to a normal routine.

We're at the end of finals right now; the last set is tomorrow; then we have a day off classes(marking day) and the new semester starts on Thursday. I have to have my marks done by then; I haven't started working up the final marks yet. I've done lots in the library and tomorrow I absolutely must do marking. (I was supposed to do that today but had too many distractions.) I also need to have my second semester plans drawn up. Maybe there's a use for my insomnia.

My piano recital went well, I think; I'm starting to learn two new pieces now, and have laid to rest the two I did at the recital. Moving right along.

Saturday I helped the Hinnergardt's move. Their new house is going to be very nice once they get settled. I had a crowd over for Sunday dinner yesterday - around 25 or so. I think it went well. Ham and scalloped potatoes (rice for me); plus contributions from the Williams next door and the Pradzynski's. There was lots of food to go around and the ham bone went into the pea soup I made for today. (I made some vegetarian pea soup for Jordan as well.)

Sunday morning Ruth and I did our monthly Sunday school stint. We had around 18 kids; mostly pre-schoolers. We did the story of the first exodus (how the Israelites were refugees); made beaded bracelets for a craft (because they plundered the Egyptians), had a colouring centre and playdough centre (making matzoh) for the other two centres. It went very well I think. It went especially well, seeing as we planned it Saturday night in about 10 minutes while we were sitting at the Hinnergardt's recouperating after moving far too much stuff around.

That's it for the update. It's time to go to bed, hopefully to sleep. I've got my piano lesson across town tomorrow morning at 7:15 am.

No comments: