Monday, April 11, 2011

Homecoming

This past weekend was Homecoming at Western. The honoured classes were any year ending in 11 - 51, 61, 71, 81, 91, 01 and 06. My cousin Leslie graduated in 81, my sister Ruth in 71, my Aunt Verna in 61, my Aunt Alice in 51. I probably had relatives in 91, 01 and 06 - but I can't think of who they were off hand.

My cousin Janice (Boatwright) Pringle also graduated in 71 and came up for Homecoming and stayed with me for the weekend. She left this morning to head back to Ft. Worth. I'm sure I haven't seen her in at least 15 years or so - and it was really nice to get a visit in. I hosted the class party for 71 on Saturday night. There was a really big turn-out - maybe 35-45 people. The house was full; but I'm so happy that I have a big house and can host that many people without difficulty.

Saturday Rose, Bram and I also headed over to Moose Jaw and visited Mom Thiessen in the nursing home there. It's not a good nursing home and we're really hoping that she'll make it closer to the top of the list to be transferred to another one soon. That being said, she's doing her best to make the best of a poor situation, and I'm happy we were finally able to visit her again. We also had a quick visit with Doug and Darlene. We met at Bonanza and ate together before we had to dash back to Regina for the Homecoming program Saturday night. We arrived back in Regina at 6:50 - the program started at 7 pm and the first item on the program was the chorus singing (and Bram's in the chorus). We were a little rushed.

Some of the highlights of Homecoming was the tribute given to Uncle Roland and Aunt Lois for their years of service - and that Aunt Alice was honoured as Alumna of the Year! All in all it was a very special time.

Sunday morning was the monthly cleaning at Old Navy, so Bram and I got up shortly after 5 - were there by 6 to help Al and Nancy do the cleaning. We finished before church, then went to church. We ate at Jamdon's after service; the first time I've had their Sunday brunch, and it was amazing! Very good. Then it was time for an afternoon nap.

Rose's arm and hand is doing much better - I can't say enough good things about physio. She now has a full range of motion in her arm, and is using her hand without any difficulty. She's allowed to go back to work (but not more than 4-5 hours in a shift) and not to lift anything over about 5 lbs, but that's such an amazing improvement over the start of last week! She still has exercises to do (I don't think she's doing them) to help rebuild her strength.

Bram has come down with a really bad cold and stayed home from school today. I don't know whether he'll be well enough to go tomorrow or not. He's been feeling pretty miserable. I think Rose is also coming down with it and I just hope they don't feel like they have to share with me. I dashed out this morning and bought a large package of boxes of Kleenex because we were down to one box, and it wasn't sufficient.

No comments: