Saturday, September 15, 2012

Saturday morning meal planning

Although I did work today - starting work at 8:45; Ruth and I still did our Saturday morning cooking together.  We did our grocery shopping last night and started at 7 this morning. What did we make, you ask?

Five salads:

    • Sweet potato black bean
    • Broccoli and grape
    • Warm winter vegetable
    • Cauliflower
    • Moroccan chickpea barley
Now you'll notice that that's pretty heavy on the vegetable salads, and our salad with the grain in it is also the salad with the legume in it, but it's also harvest time and there are so many lovely vegetables right now, that it's really nice to be able to use them.  

We also made:

One soup - borscht (but I think we still need to add some sausage to it - it was sort of a spur of the moment thing, so we used the ingredients on hand).

Several casseroles
    • Two big pans of lasagna
    • Chili
    • Swiss steak
Now to be honest - we didn't get all of that done before I had to dash off to work.  When I left for work, we had done the first four salads plus the borscht and the  lasagna, and Ruth came back after she dropped me off (and checked out the farmer's market), and finished up and did up the dishes (bless her).

When I got home after work, I unplugged the various slow cookers and am just waiting for them to cool down before I pull the food out of them into storage containers.

What's kind of funny about the whole thing is that wasn't what we had planned to cook today.  Yes, we had planned to make salads and a casserole or two, but we had planned to make a green pea salad and one other kind of salad (I don't remember what) - but when we started pulling ingredients out of the fridge, we changed our minds, deciding to use up what we already had instead of pulling other ingredients out of the freezer.

No comments: