Tuesday, December 18, 2012

UFO's

In quilting parlance a UFO is an Unfinished Object.  Because I've been an avid quilter for several decades, it's possible that I may have a UFO or two hidden in various closets and cupboards.  Last year, when Rose spent a couple of weeks with me after finishing school in Ottawa and before going back to Yellowknife, she went through my closets and cupboards and found several of them.  She also hinted that it might be a good idea to finish them.

I really haven't done much quilting since I've moved to Regina.  I've lived here four years and have only done two quilts I think.  Compare that to the year Rose was born, when I did somewhere between 18 and 24.  There are several reasons for that.  One reason is that I didn't have a studio set up like I did in Yellowknife.  The second reason is that I haven't found someone in Regina that I trust to service my sewing machines.  This has meant that as one machine has needed servicing, I've switched to another.  I'm running out of machines (I only have five).  I think I'm going to have to take some down to Saskatoon as there is someone I trust to service them there.  I miss having my favourite machine in prime working order.

However, since I've been unemployed for the past two weeks, I pulled down a couple of those UFO's and have them nearly finished.  I have started another quilt as well - I'm recycling jeans.  Some of these are Christmas presents,I've always felt that homemade is better than something purchased.  It feels good to be creative again.

No comments: