Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year



We did have a quiet Christmas with Rose, Lloyd and Bram all sick, but improving. It took several more days before everyone was able to go to sleep without hacking coughs. It must have been the flu as I didn't get sick at all, and I was the only one who had a flu shot. I must say I'm grateful that I didn't have to get it.

Rose has been working most days at Reitman's. They've had some pretty good sales on too, but I don't think she's managed to spend all of her earnings yet. She had today off because she had a doctor's appt, but is working every other day until she leaves town.

This afternoon we had a winter picnic. I invited friends of mine, Raymond Grant and his wife, Kathleen. It was a balmy day, with a high of -12. We went skidooing; a first for Raymond, and Kathleen said she had never done it since she was a child. We also tried kicksledding, and Lloyd was out with the quad, cleaning snow of the walking trail. We made a fire on the ice and roasted hotdogs as well. Bram also did marshmallows. We all had fun and didn't get too cold.

Both Boxing Day and New Year's Day we got together with the Hobbs and Walter and Faye and Bob and Geela. Boxing Day it was at the Hobbs house while New Year's it was at Walter and Faye's. Each time we ate a lot (likely too much) and played scum. We all enjoyed ourselves both times.

Lloyd starts back to work tomorrow. It's been very nice having the time off between Christmas and New Year's. I'm not starting back to work officially until Monday, but I really need to do some lesson planning before then. Rose also has some homework to do before she goes back to school, and I intend to encourage Bram to do some homework as well. So I guess we're getting to the end of the holiday season.

One of the highlights of the holidays for me has been that Lorraine was given a Scrabble game for Christmas and we've played several games together. I do enjoy playing Scrabble, and it's good to to have someone to play with.

No comments: