Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Decisions, decisions

OK, I got my licences (driver's and plates). It only took two more trips; so I made a total of four trips to various licensing offices and had all the needed ID three of those times. (What's wrong with this picture?)

I had the piano tuner in yesterday because my piano has been bugging me with this key out of tune, that key clicking, another key double striking, etc. However, he tells me that the problem is with the bushings, and it'd cost me more than the piano is worth to replace them. He recommends buying a new (to me) piano.

You have to realize that I've been considering whether or not I would splurge and spend $100 on a camera for myself for Christmas. (And I did splurge and buy myself some winter boots.) Now a good quality used piano would likely cost me close to $1,000! So, what are my options?
  • Stick with my existing piano (but that low E that's out of tune and is untunable because the block is cracked there, he says) is causing me to have bad technique because I try to either skip playing it or playing it for a much shorter length of time.
  • Practice on the grand piano at school (in the evenings and on weekends); meaning that I likely wouldn't get as much practice in because I'd have to go over there every time and I couldn't practice on it if there was a function in the room where it is.
  • Buy another piano. One of the piano stores in town is closing and apparently I could get a good deal on a piano right now (the tuner took me over there after hours, as he has a key and went through all of the pianos with me). The catch? It'll be around $1,000 once you add in getting it tuned and moved. And... I'd now have two pianos and would have to do something with the other one.

So, I don't know what I'll do. Right now I've decided that I don't have to make a decision right away.

No comments: