Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday afternoon

The Pradzynski's usually have potluck at their house Sunday afternoons, however I decided to host it today. The Williams opened their apartment up as well, so we had both apartments to expand into and we likely had between 25 and 40 people (it's hard to tell for sure). Ruth had made lasagne, I had cooked a small ham and Loopie had roast pork. Ruth also had a bag of salad and I made tabouli and homemade bread and apple cobbler and matrimonial cake for dessert. There was lots of food and the young adults/teens are playing various games right now.

I've always been really hesitant about having people over. It dates back to when Lloyd and I were young parents (Rose was either a baby or a toddler) and we invited another couple over after service and they turned us down because they were busy and a couple minutes later I heard them make plans with someone else. I had the courage to confront them and they told me that they didn't like to visit us because our house was always so messy. I've felt very inadequate about that ever since and have never wanted to invite anyone over unless my house was absolutely spotless (and it never was).

However, I've recently come to the conclusion that the problem was more with them than with me - yes my house may have been cluttered, but it was never dirty. Now that I'm living by myself, I don't have any trouble keeping a tidy house anyway (and I haven't accumulated enough stuff to have clutter) and I'm delighted to be able to learn hospitality.

I had an e-mail from Rose this afternoon and she's been feeling ill; stayed home from school for a day or two and is having trouble with diarrhea, etc. I wish I could be closer, but hopefully she'll be with me for second semester. It is hard to be a long-distant parent - but it does ensure that I have a real active prayer life.

1 comment:

RORRR said...

It's great that you want people to come over. My Mom taught us that there is hosting and hospitality. Hosting is getting everything just right and presenting a meal to people. It's okay to do this, but it is more important to practice hospitality. Hospitality lets people come over, relax, feel welcome, and everything doesn't have to be perfect. The Bible teaches hospitality and not that we always need to present a perfect front. Sounds like you are doing a great job of hospitality! :)
Melissa