Sunday, June 27, 2010

Memories

Last weekend I went to Saskatoon with my sister, Ruth, and her husband. Spent most of the day with my parents. Had a good visit with all. While in S'toon, my mom mentioned that she had found the bread recipe that she had used the whole time we were growing up. It made either 16 loaves of bread, or 12 loaves and 6 dozen buns.
She used to make up a batch weekly.

While I currently live in a household of two; and most of last year lived in a household of one - and 16 loaves of bread is far beyond my current needs, here's the recipe - for old time's sake.

White Bread - makes 12 loaves and 6 dozen buns.

1 cup warm water
2 tsp sugar
1-2 TLB yeast

Stir sugar into water and add yeast. Let stand 10 min.

4 quarts warm water
1 cup sugar
1 cup oil
10 quarts flour
2 TLB salt
2 cups skim milk powder

There were no other instructions; we knew what to do - just needed the proportions.
If you want to make it with half white, half whole wheat flour, add a little more yeast.

It was good bread, too. And, as mom pointed out, you got good strong arms kneading the dough.

No comments: