Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"I have everything I need"

When I first moved to Regina from Yellowknife, I had many adjustments to make. The culture was different here; I was doing a very different type of teaching and for the first time in nearly 20 years I was alone, without either spouse or children. All of these were big changes. Another change that I had to adapt to was that for the first time since I was in university, I was living on a very tight budget. I had one income rather than two, and I had many more expenses than I was used to.

One of the things that has helped me adjust to these changes was Psalm 23: The Lord is my shepherd, I have everything I need. I have learned to rest in my Lord's blessings and to trust that He is sufficient for all of my needs.

I have taught myself to view flyers and catalogues as opportunities to thank God for all that I have and all that I don't need. When I moved into my house here, I met the person who did the flyer deliveries and asked to not receive the regular flyers. Not only do I have less garbage or recycling to deal with, but I also haven't had to worry about coveting all that has been advertised.

There have been many times when I've had to decide which bill would be paid first and which bills could wait for a bit. I've never had to do that before, and it has made me more aware of others and the burdens they may be carrying. I haven't enjoyed having to count pennies and to budget, but it has allowed me to grow in faith. And you know? The Lord continues to provide all that I need. And I am thankful.

No comments: