Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Stuff

One of the curious things that I notice when I go to Canadian Tire, is that a large percentage of what they sell is containers. Rubbermaid tubs, wicker baskets, tool chests, plastic drawer sets, shelving units, etc. We have so much stuff in our lives that stores can do very well selling us things to help us organize our stuff.

When I moved to New Guinea (1980), I had a carry-on and the largest suitcase you could bring on the plane. When I moved home two years later, I had gained an additional suitcase. When I moved to Yellowknife (1988), I carried all of my possessions in the back of a quarter ton pick-up. When I moved south from Yellowknife three and a half years ago, I pulled the smallest U-Haul I could rent behind my van. (Mind you, I left lots and lots of stuff behind - and I had to purchase furniture once I got here.)

When I moved from my apartment to my house, it took about six men and four vehicles several hours and many loads to help me move in. How did I accumulate so much stuff in such a short time? I now own: four couches and a futon, a piano, two piano benches, two cedar chests, three arm chairs, four stacking stools, one queen-sized bed, two twin beds and a queen-sized Murphy bed, two dining tables (one's taken apart in storage) and a kitchen table (also in storage), twelve dining chairs (two sets of 6), three Christmas trees, five sewing machines, two sergers, the list goes on. A lot of the furniture has been purchased either in garage sales or on Kijiji, but I still realize that I have more than what I need.

I think I need to simplify my life a little. Be more concerned with people than stuff. Use the stuff in creating relationships with people - I think that's called hospitality.

No comments: