Sunday, August 5, 2012

Couscous Salad with Orange Vinaigrette

The other day I was in the bulk store and saw that they had wholewheat couscous.  I didn't purchase it, because I still need to use up the couscous I have in my pantry (I have both the "regular" couscous and some tri-colour couscous, which is really pretty - it's dyed with vegetable products - but has no more fiber than the ordinary stuff).  Next time however, I'll definitely purchase the wholewheat stuff.  We're  into the high fiber option whenever possible in this household.

2 cups couscous
4 cups boiling water (The recipe I was originally following called for "instant couscous" - however, all couscous is pretty instant.  It also called for only 2 cups of boiling water, but I've found that couscous is better if you add as much water as it will take - which is usually double the amount of couscous.)
1 tsp oil

Combine all three ingredients in a bowl and let it stand while you prepare everything else.

1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
2 bell peppers (we had red peppers, so that's what we used, but I think it would be nice with yellow, orange or green ones, as the cherry tomatoes are red, so you'd have more colours.)
1/4 cup chopped green onions or chives
1/4 cup chopped fresh mint

Vinaigrette
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup orange juice (I always use 2 TLB frozen o.j. and 2 TLB water to reconstitute it - a little stronger than usual, but great for recipes)
1 TLB grated orange zest
3 TLB red wine vinegar

Ruth chopped the mint in the food processor and also did the orange zest in it.  I have to say that it's much easier than chopping it by hand or grating it with a hand grater.

I'll try to post a photo later when I find my camera.  We tried this recipe for the first time yesterday and really liked it.  We're definitely adding it to our salad cookbook.  We chopped up all the mint we didn't use and put it in the freezer for the future.

No comments: