Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Hard at Work

My cousin Janelle wrote about the work being done just a few blocks down the street from my house to retrofit a tiny wartime house.  You can read about it here: Bless This House.  As soon as the word "retrofit" is mentioned, you know that my dad must be involved.  So are two of my brothers-in-law and a brother.  Dad's spending his evenings in my spare room, and I'm feeding them all supper at night.  However, it's a real blessing for me because they've decided that there are some things that need to be done at my house as well.

Last week Randy tackled my back yard.  Now I don't do too badly on the front yard (although Randy pointed out to me that it is possible to water it on a regular basis) - but the back yard was in really sad shape; overgrown grass, bushes taking over, etc.  Randy worked an entire afternoon on it and turned it into an oasis - it's nicer than it's ever been since I've moved in here I think.  I was almost in tears when I saw it.

Now they've decided that my fence needs finishing.  When I bought the house, there wasn't a back fence - which is pretty much unheard of for any property on the Canadian prairies.  However, I did have a side fence that went right to the street (in violation of the city bylaw), and I paid to have it taken down and moved to the back.  It didn't fence in the entire yard though, so I still had a fairly large section at the back that was open.  Last night they went out and purchased the lumber and hardware, and they got started after supper tonight.  After a full day of working on the other house, they worked for another couple of hours at mine!  I am so blessed with such a generous family.




No comments: