Saturday, March 17, 2012

Saturday morning

Ruth and I went and got groceries last night and she was here by 7:30 this morning for us to cook together. I had set the chick peas to boil last night and then turned them off and let them soak. This morning they were almost ready, but we set them to boil again as they weren't quite soft enough. While they were cooking, we put some wild rice on to boil for another recipe (I had some leftover brown rice) and we got to work.

We made: Chickpea Feta Salad (which was a new one that we hadn't tried before); Nutty Wild Rice Salad, Cauliflower Salad, and Coleslaw Forever with broccoli stems and purple cabbage. For casseroles we made a scalloped sweet potatoes with ham and a multi-bean soup. I've posted the recipes for all of the salads except for the chickpea feta (check out my recipes, or look in August) so I'll write it up below:

2.5 cups cooked chickpeas
1/2 container (about 200 g) light feta cheese, crumbled
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
1 pint cherry tomatoes
1 chopped red onion
1/2 English cucumber, diced.

Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 TLB chopped garlic
2 TLB lime juice
dash of salt and pepper

No comments: