Thursday, August 18, 2011

Insomnia

There are many reasons why I wake up in the middle of the night. Sometimes I'm too hot or too cold - sometimes I'm both at the same time (I believe that's called menopause). Sometimes I have a strange dream or a troubling dream. Sometimes I have restless legs. Sometimes a hand or a foot has gone to sleep and I need to reposition myself. Sometimes I have something on my mind that I can't get out of my head. Sometimes I need to go to the bathroom (which usually means that I'm camping and I have to walk across the campground in the cold, in the dark).

So, what to do about it? If I'm lucky, I'll just roll over and go back to sleep. Otherwise, I'll try counting my blessings - seeing how long a list I can make. I'll practice taking deep relaxing breaths. Many times I'll turn on the radio and listen to the BBC (CBC in the middle of the night has the BBC on). I hate opening my eyes, because it's an admission that I actually am awake, but sometimes I read.

Last night was one of those nights. I woke up several times for several reasons. I had a really strange dream, a hand went to sleep (a couple of times), I was too hot - no, too cold - no, just uncomfortable, a hand asleep again....I drifted back to sleep several times but was awake pretty steadily from about 4 am on. I counted my blessings, practiced breathing and turned on the BBC. However, it's time to be up now. Maybe I'll take an afternoon nap later.

No comments: