Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Tuesday - the last recipe?

I went into work for a bit this morning and finished ordering all the books needed for this fall. Feels good to have that done and it's always more fun spending someone else's money. Then I went home and paid bills on-line. One of those chores I never like doing, but has serious consequences if I don't. Feels good to have that done too. Did laundry this morning too - I've been holding off doing that because Regina's been asking us to restrict water use because the storm last weekend damaged the transformer at the pumping station at Buffalo Pound. However, you can't wait forever and I needed to do laundry. I've now got clean sheets spread all over my family room, because why should I heat up my housing drying them? They'll be dry by nightfall, I'm sure. I've purchased a clothesline and hopefully at some time I'll get someone to put it up for me. Until then, it's very nice to have a family room to spread laundry out over.

Last night I stained the cedar wall in my living room. Looks much better now. I need to do it a second time I think, but will have to wait because it's still tacky.

OK, I haven't even tried my last recipe yet - it's a wheat berry one, but it looks like it'll be good. This is salad number 21; we have 20 in our 4 week rotation - 5 per week, plus the fake-um potato salad, which isn't in the rotation. I've tried to vary my rotation so that we've got at least two vegetable-based salads each week, and at least one of a pulse-based (beans, peas or lentils) and at least one grain-based (quinoa, millet, rice, barley, bulgar, wheat berries). In addition, I have one marinated-type salad each week, and one supremely easy salad (doesn't require a lot of chopping or prep time). Now I'm working on having the weekly grocery lists made up; then I'm done!

Wheatberry Salad
1 lb wheat
3/4 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup minced red onion
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh herbs

Vinaigrette
¼ cup raspberry vinegar
2 LTB oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Cook wheat in 3 L water with 1 TLB salt for 1 hour, or until soft but chewy. Drain well. Add remaining ingredients. Pour vinaigrette over.

No comments: